By Sarah Joy Maddeaux
Issue 24, Winter 2012 pp 26-31
“In 1835, a site of about twelve acres opposite the Durdham Downs was purchased with a view to opening zoological gardens. This article will look at how the situation of the Zoo in the affluent neighbourhood of Clifton has affected the development of its character over the years, how the Zoo has interacted with its neighbours, and the significance of the Zoo’s walls in delineating and enabling control over the space within them”.
Only Associate Members of the Regional History Centre can access full articles.